Hire a Student


Career & Professional Development is your gateway to finding and hiring students for your campus jobs.

arrowImportant Reminders

  • Action Forms (FWS ONLY) are due by the 25th of each month to be entered into the next months payroll cycle
    • **PLEASE NOTE: If an Action Form is submitted on the 25th with errors or if an Action Form is submitted after the deadline, processing may be delayed until the following payroll cycle
  • EPAFS cannot be submitted if the student’s I9 has not been processed. (I9s have a 48 business hour processing period)
  • If you would like to hire Federal Work Study students for the next academic year please submit your allocation request and FWS Student Employment Contract
  • If you have submitted your allocation request and contract, you may send Action Forms for students that you will rehire next academic year (Select ‘Reassignment’ at the top of Action Form)
  • Reassignment Action Forms DO NOT require the ‘award’ to be filled in.
  • Please ONLY submit Action forms via email to SEO@UNCG.EDU.
  • Open positions for the next academic year may be posted on Handshake with a detailed job description and August start date.



Posting a campus job is easy and convenient through our online database, Handshake. You will need an account to get started. If you have an account already and don't know your password, click Forgot Password and the system will generate a new one. If you do not have an account, please follow the step-by-step instructions on the Handshake guides provided below under “Resources for Student Employment”. You can continue to make changes to your account including your employer profile and updating previously posted jobs.


arrowFederal Work-Study Overview

Federal Work-Study provides subsidized part-time employment for students with financial need. Students must apply for financial aid and receive a Federal Work-Study award from the Office of Student Financial Aid in order to work under this program. Funds are restricted to students who are either citizens or permanent residents of the United States. International students with an F-1 or J-1 Visa are not eligible, but are still eligible to work on-campus in regular departmental student positions.

Each year, the Financial Aid Office and the Student Employment Office determine work-study allocations for individual departments and offices. The federal program pays the student's earnings out of an account assigned to each department, except in the case of revenue-generating ("fee-based") departments, who pay 25% from their own budget. In order for a department to receive funding for student positions, departments must submit a contract to the Student Employment Office. Please email seo@uncg.edu for more information.


arrowSupervisor Forms

The following are forms essential for any supervisor managing a student employee, including work-study forms and tax information. Please also visit UNCG Conduct Policies for Students to familiarize yourself with the student code of conduct.

Resources for Student Employment

List of Acceptable I-9 Documents

  • The Form I-9 must be completed in the Student Employment Office before or on 1st day of work
  • Employees must present one selection from List A or a combination of one selection from List B and one selection from List C.
  • All documents must be original and unexpired

Federal Work Study Student Action Form

Instructions for completing the Federal Work Study Student Action Form

Complete when you hire or change the status of a FWS student employee
Declining Balance Sheet Federal Work Study student supervisors are required to maintain a Declining Balance Sheet for their student employees in order to ensure that the student spends all of their award and does not exceed their award amount.
Departmental (Non-Work-Study) Fill out appropriate Banner HR EPAF form


Payroll Frequently Asked Questions

W4, NC-4, Direct Deposit, Payroll Address Change and other forms
The Family Educational Rights And Privacy Act of 1974 Student employees who are in positions with access to student records protected by FERPA must review.
Student Employee Timesheet Time record form
NEW! Student Work Schedule To be attached to the student timesheet for all FWS participants.
Student Code of Conduct Process UNCG student policies
Handshake Guides

On-Campus Employer Sign-Up Guide

On-Campus Employer How to Post and Manage Jobs Guide


arrowFrequently Asked Questions about Student Employees

What form do I complete to hire a student employee?
For non work-study students, you must complete the Banner HR EPAF. Be sure ALL information has been provided including the I-9 date. To hire a federal work-study student, you must complete the Federal Work-Study Student Action Form located at: https://hrs.uncg.edu/Files/

What is the last day a student employee can work?
Students cannot work past the last day of exams. Federal work-study students cannot work over the summer. Departmental student employees can work for as long as the submitted EPAF indicates. To extend the payroll period, a new EPAF must be submitted. Graduate assistants’ last day is determined by The Graduate School.

How many hours can students work?
Federal Work Study students cannot work more than 20 hours/week. Departmental student employees cannot work more than 28 hours/week.

Is a recently graduated student eligible to work as a student employee during the summer?
No. Upon graduation, he/she is no longer a student. Arrangements for jobs are made through Human Resources.

My department has a work-study allocation, so how do I attract students to apply?
Start with a well worded job description. Students like a clear idea of what will be expected of them before they apply for a job. Be available during SOAR. Students are encouraged to make appointments with potential supervisors while they are on campus for the summer SOAR.

How can I verify if a student has a work-study award?
Request verification from the student, unless you are submitting a reassignment Action Form. If a student has been awarded, they will be able to verify their award via UNCGenie. If a student is uncertain, they can verify their award/eligibility status with the Financial Aid Office. For returning students, you will be notified by Financial Aid if there is any issue with your student's continued employment under FWS.

When are students’ timesheets due?
Timesheets are due the 10th of the month. Payroll dates are earlier in November and December. It is the responsibility of the student to work with their manager to ensure the time-sheet is signed and submitted by the deadline each month. Refer to Payroll’s Web page for the exact deadline: https://banner.uncg.edu/hr/hr-dates-and-deadlines/

What do I do if I have a problem with a student worker?
If you feel you have exhausted all means of rectifying the problem, the Student Employment Office will be happy to assist with counseling the student as needed or serve as a mediator between the student and the supervisor. If the student feels they would prefer an advocate, they will be referred to the Dean of Students.