Renewal and new hires of student temporary assignments remain subject to the HR Action Pause and will be reviewed on a case by case basis by the Student Employment Office.
- For Federal Work Study funded positions, action forms for reassignments should be submitted no later than Friday, June 5 to firstname.lastname@example.org. An update will be provided when new FWS hires can be considered.
- For direct department-funded hires for summer or fall, please review the essential actions in the COVID-19 Action Guidelines, then complete this brief form to provide a short hiring justification statement."
- Register in Handshake
- Post jobs with detailed job description
- View applicant documents and select candidates for interview
- Expire posting after you hire
- Submit hiring paperwork for student
Federal Work-Study provides subsidized part-time employment for students with financial need. Students must apply for financial aid and receive a Federal Work-Study award from the Office of Student Financial Aid in order to work under this program. Funds are restricted to students who are either citizens or permanent residents of the United States. International students with an F-1 or J-1 Visa are not eligible, but are still eligible to work on-campus in regular departmental student positions.
Each year, the Financial Aid Office and the Student Employment Office determine work-study allocations for individual departments and offices. The federal program pays the student's earnings out of an account assigned to each department, except in the case of revenue-generating ("fee-based") departments, who pay 25% from their own budget. In order for a department to receive funding for student positions, departments must submit a contract to the Student Employment Office. Please email email@example.com for more information.
If a student is not eligible for Federal Work Study they can be hired as a departmental hourly student employee. Departmental hourly student employees are paid out of department funds. A student can be hired as both a departmental hourly student and a Federal Work Study student.
- FWS students cannot exceed 20 work hours/wk; Hourly hires: 28 work hours/wk
- Student positions CANNOT replace university employee positions
- Students may not hold more than one (1) FWS position but can hold 1 hourly and 1 FWS position
- Students CANNOT earn more than ½ of their FWS award per semester. Unearned awarded funds may rollover to 2nd semester
- All FWS job positions posted by hiring supervisors (Step by Step instructions available)
- Student’s I9 MUST be completed BEFORE the student starts working