Career Roadmap - Work During School


Milestone 5 Engage:Enhance Your Expertise

You don’t have to wait until after you graduate to gain experience that makes your resume stand out. Discover how opportunities such as internships, community service, and campus leadership can enhance your skill sets.

On-Campus Employment

Did you know you can gain real-world experience right here on campus? Through the Federal Work Study program, awarded through the Financial Aid Office based on financial need, you can secure an on-campus job to help pay for your educational expenses (including tuition) and give you valuable work experience. Financial need is based on information you or your family supplies on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Priority is given to those who file their FASFA by December 1st; when all money has been awarded, no more funds are available for the year.

You do not need a work-study award to work on campus. Check Handshake daily for new opportunities.


How do I know if I have been awarded work-study?

You will receive a letter from the Financial Aid Office listing your entire financial aid package which may include work-study. Your financial aid package is also displayed online through your Genie account. If you did not receive work-study you can request to be placed on a wait list.


How do I find a work-study job?

All work-study jobs can be found online at Handshake. Each job will contain a description, requirements, and contact information. Follow the instructions given with each posting on how to apply. Work-study jobs are not available during summer.


What kind of work-study jobs are available?

A wide variety of opportunities are available, ranging from office assistant, event production, and graphic design to building management, labs, and grounds-keeping.


Does community service count towards work-study hours?

Work-study positions are available in the greater Greensboro area for organizations in social services, literacy, education, housing, and health care. You may plan art projects, help with museum exhibits, tutor at-risk youth, organize programs for aging populations, and much more. Visit Handshake and search under the jobs tab for "FWSCS" in the keyword(s) field.


How do I locate a Graduate Assistantship?

Graduate assistantships also are available in numerous non-academic departments across the campus. These opportunities include the Graduate School, Financial Aid Office, Student Affairs, and several other administrative and research centers.

Resources for Student Employment

List of Acceptable I-9 Documents

  • The Form I-9 must be completed in the Student Employment Office before or on 1st day of work
  • Employees must present one selection from List A or a combination of one selection from List B and one selection from List C.
  • All documents must be original and unexpired


Payroll Frequently Asked Questions

W4, NC-4, Direct Deposit, Payroll Address Change and other forms
The Family Educational Rights And Privacy Act of 1974 Student employees who are in positions with access to student records protected by FERPA must review.
Student Employee Timesheet Time record form
NEW! Student Work Schedule To be attached to the student timesheet for all FWS participants.
Student Code of Conduct Process UNCG student policies